If your Samsung top-load washer isn’t getting your clothes as clean as it used to, you may wonder if there is anything you can do to correct the problem. Cleaning the debris filter may solve your problem.
But where is the Samsung top load washer filter location anyway and how do you clean it? Read on to find out.
In This Article
Does a Samsung Top Load Washer Have a Debris Filter?
Your Samsung top load washer has a debris filter designed to siphon out lint and dirt as your clothes are washing. Debris, like lint and other soil particles, can compromise your washer’s ability to clean your clothes when you wash them. This filter ensures that your clothes are washed in clean water and improves the washer’s effectiveness.
The filter needs to be cleaned after every 35 to 40 washes. For most households, this equates to once every two to three months, but if you have a large family or do more frequent laundry, you may need to clean it more often.
Likewise, if you are washing work clothes or other items with a lot of dirt and debris (like sawdust), your filter may require more frequent cleaning.
How to Locate the Filter on a Samsung Top Load Washer
The debris filter on a Samsung top-loading washer is located in the bottom right-hand corner of the front of the machine. To access the filter, you will need to open the small door or compartment with a key or coin.
- Examine the front of the washer for the Samsung top load washer filter location.
- Look to the bottom right-hand corner to locate a small door or compartment.
- Use a key or a coin to open the cover.
- Observe the filter inside the compartment.
How to Open the Filter on a Samsung Top Load Washer
Opening the cover to the filter compartment on a Samsung top load washer requires a key or a coin.
- Locate the filter compartment in the lower right-hand corner on the front of the machine.
- Use a key or a coin to gently pry the cover open.
How to Clean the Debris Filter on a Samsung Top Load Washer
- Unplug your washing machine.
- Locate the cover to the filter compartment in the lower right-hand corner of the machine. The filter compartment is on the front of the machine.
- Open the cover with a coin or key by gently inserting the coin in the ridge of the cover and prying it open.
- Locate the emergency draining tube and pull it out.
- Pull the cap off the emergency drain tube and allow the water to drain into a shallow bowl.
- Remove the debris filter cap by turning it counterclockwise.
- Remove the filter and clean it in the sink under running water. You can use an old toothbrush or scrub brush to gently remove dirt and debris. If necessary, use a mild detergent or dish detergent to clean the filter.
- Rinse the filter under running water to remove any traces of debris and soap.
- Put the debris filter cap back on the filter, checking that it is secure.
- Visually inspect the propeller to the drain pump to ensure it is free of debris.
- Insert the cleaned filter into the filter compartment.
- Check that the cap is securely reattached to the emergency drain tube and gently position it back into the filter compartment.
- Replace the debris filter compartment cover, pushing to ensure it is secure.
- Plug the washing machine back in.
For more, check out “How to Clean a Samsung Washer.”
Frequently Asked Questions
You should clean the filter in your Samsung top load washer when the washer is empty. Your washer automatically drains during the spin cycle. You only need to drain it if your machine has malfunctioned and has standing water in it.
However, you need to drain the emergency drain tube when you clean the filter. You can do this by placing a shallow bowl on the floor under the filter compartment, pulling out the emergency drain tube (located in the filter compartment), removing the cap, and allowing it to drain into the bowl.
Not all top-load washers have a debris filter. In fact, according to Hello Homestead, many new washers do not have a debris filter but may have a coin trap instead.
According to Family Handyman, a coin trap differs from a debris trap. A coin trap usually consists of a plastic tray with holes designed to catch coins and other objects (like screws and bolts) before reaching the drain impeller.
Check your owner’s manual to determine if your washing machine has a debris filter or a coin trap.
The debris filter compartment on a Samsung top load washer is located at the bottom right-hand corner of the front of the washer. This compartment contains the debris filter and the emergency drain hose.
To remove the filter, turn it counterclockwise and pull it from the compartment.
Odors in the washing machine are typically caused by mold, mildew, and bacteria. Body oils, hair, dirt, and other debris from your clothing can get trapped in the seals and gaskets of the washer. Because the laundry room is typically warm and humid, it creates a breeding ground for mold and mildew. When they begin to breed in your washer, they can emit nasty odors.
Cleaning your washer, including the door seals, with baking soda or vinegar every few months and leaving the door open until the insides dry after each wash will help reduce washing machine odor.
Alternatively, purchasing a cleaner for the washer can be a big help. These cleaners are designed to be run through a wash cycle (typically with warm or hot water) to clean built-up grime in the washer.
Final Thoughts on Samsung Top Load Washer Filter Location
Keeping your washer in good working order is essential to clean your clothes and prevent nasty odors from building up in your washer. The first step is to clean the debris filter to remove any lint and dirt it has collected. This allows your washer to work more efficiently and ensures your clothes are washed in clean water.